Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Rules, Old Words

Words have power. Yes, yes, yes, we all know that.

And I'm not going to make a lot of stuffy points better suited to aging professors about semiotics and facts and true-life things changing drastically depending on what words we assign them and what connotations we associate with those words. You can arrive at those conclusions on your own, 'hos.

I'm just going to play it loose and random. Like Diana Vreeland...


(Not that I could match the timeless craziness of Vreeland. I could never suggest with a straight face that you wash your blond child's hair in dead champagne as they do in France. When Rome is burning, I'm putting out fires, not plucking my fiddle and eating cake...also tearing down the flag, or so I like to think) These are just lists. You supply the context. Why Don't You?

So without further ado do I present suggestions for removing words from the English language that have…well…issues attached to them and replacing them with better words. Words that fell by the wayside as we all marched boldly into Twitterland without a backwards glance.

Don't get me wrong - I love Twitter. But it doesn't leave much room for we the polysyllabic, does it?

So without further ado. Please for to with which to explore the delights of the ecdysiast bluestocking. Let's bring them back like Justin brought sexy back. 

So...Why Don't You?

No comments:

Post a Comment